Another Phil

A few months ago I ask the question about BLO being non-toxic safe for
children's toys. Send E-mail to manufacture of BLO I found in local BORG.

Reply was very emphatic; NO, don't use our product on toys. (Sounded like
an insurance / lawyer thing to me.) If the maker states not to use for toys,
I think "food safe" is right out.

Anyway, there are many who claim you must let BLO cure (that is cure, not
dry) for a couple of weeks and it becomes OK for toys. However, IMHO, that
does not remove the metallic dryers used in BLO manufactured by today's
factory process. On the other hand, these metallic dryers are such a low
density and are probably bound tightly to the cured BLO finish as to pose
no "truly significant" health risk. All bets are off if someone uses BLO
finished wood piece as teething toy for toddler.

What convinced me was the cheep price of mineral oil purchased in the local
drug store when compared to the messing around with BLO, long cure time, and
problems with the rags.

Phil