Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus8409 wrote:

On 25 Apr 2005 05:18:43 -0700, wrote:

Can a regular drill press use an end mill bit and kind of convert the
drill press into a crude end mill?

The answer that I saw, quite convincing, was no. The method of holding
chucks in a drill press (taper) does not hold the chuck properly when
a transverse force (horizontal) is applied.

I've heard the effect referred to as "hand grenading". A spinning chuck
with a sharp end mill in it bouncing all over the place trying to find
your flesh. Not a pretty thought.

Not all drill presses are made like that though. My Craftsman floor
model, which I bought new from Sears about 43 years ago, has a round
threaded collar with a spanner wrench hole in it which positively keeps
the chuck from dropping out.

I doubt that the bearings in it are ballsy enough to take very heavy
side loads, but I have on occassion cheated, grabbed an end mill in the
chuck, bolted an cheepo x-y table onto the drill press, and done a
little light milling of aluminum or wood parts.

YMMV,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia