lgb

In article , says...
Besides, tell that to DJM as he applies quilted veneer to a substrate of
plwood for a piece of what is inarguably "high end" furniture.

As a substrate, plywood is OK. Although MDF would do as well. But even
hardwood plywood nowadays has such thin surface layers as to be easily
damaged in use, if not sanded/scraped through while finishing.

I do agree that our ancestors had access to much better quality wood
than we do today - and at little cost. Unfortunately, they used it all
:-).