Walt Cheever

John,

As I think about it, your method of "draw it full size and measure it" isn't
all that bad. Gives the students a quick method of solving a problem using
their native wit, instead of spending a bunch of skull sweat on abstract
concepts.

I actually think it is a wiser way to go than trusting in a "magic" computer
program that spits out the answers without the user understanding the
process.

A local shop machines stone for buildings. When they had to do curved
sections they would calculate the heck out of it, then get a piece of string
and chalk and mark the radius on the shop floor to double check the fit.
Only after CNC machines and CAD did they find they could skip this step.

Walt C

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
m...
Folks -

*Somewhere* there was an online calc or website that was able to figure
out the length of the segments in creating a circle of "X" inches in
diameter. I am sure that many of you math types will guffaw, so I'll take
my lumps, but I'd like a better way than laying it out on paper and
measuring.

I was showing one of the students how to lay out an 8 and also a 12 sided
circle, 12" in diameter, with 3" wide stock. Our method worked okay and
all, I just know that there's an easier way to do it.

Any ideas??

John Moorhead