DanG

Am I the only one who wonders whether this project is even
possible? I assume OP intends to lay either cement block and/or
brick to replace existing walls.

Changing a wood and tin, probably home made, wall system out to
CMU demands some knowledge of weights, footing design, footing
requirements, and analysis of existing footing or lack thereof.

As a professional, I would not contemplate laying block walls one
wall at a time or trying to lay up and slush fill the top block
under an existing roof.

It sounds to me as if the OP needs to spend a bit more time
working out the details of what he wants to accomplish working
from the existing conditions. Reworking wood stud walls and
installing a new exterior sounds more feasible. With adequate
footing, the new exterior could be brick.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Frank H" wrote in message
Hi all & greetings from Toronto. My old wood-and-tin garage is
the eyesore of the neighbourhood, and I dream of rebuilding it,
myself, in concrete or brick. One wall at a time, slowly is
fine, I'm in no big hurry - would prefer to save money learning
how to do it myself.

Silly? Too big a job? Need architects, engineers, teams of big
strong guys? Or can I find books or sites that teach you how to
rebuild a garage myself without having it fall down on top of
me? I'm a handy guy and have renovated most of my own house,
but I'm new to structural work (i.e., how to hold up a roof
while I remove and replace the wall underneath).

Thanks in advance for any advice, resources, personal
experiences.

- Frank