Nick Alexander

Default Adjusting lathe clutch - is there a primer?

Thanks for the recent help on cleaning clutch plates. I have now
cleaned out all the old oil, gunge from the sump, etc, and refilled
with new oil. I have adjusted the selector so it clicks into foward,
reverse, and neutral. reverse is fine, it engages and disengages
correctly, but forward engages, but when it is moved to the disengage
position, the lathe doesn't stop turning. I have checked that the
selector is in the neutral position. If I turn off the motor and
then back on again, it will usually not start turning. (as it should)

The lathe is a Gornati Leopard, and has 2 clutches on the shaft driven
by the motor. These look like about 10 or so disks that get
compressed when the selector is pushed towards them. There seems to
be an adjusting ring on the side closest to the selector that could be
adjusted with a pin wrench. I haven't seen if there is a locking
ring or screw to stop movement after adjustment.

It would seem that I should be loosening off this ring a touch. Is
this something I can safely do, or am I likely to be opening up a can
of worms?

Any help would be appreciated.