Harvey Van Sickle

On 24 Apr 2005, jim_in_sussex wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote in message
On 23 Apr 2005, Rob Horton wrote

-snip-

As a foot note, I have heard a rumour that in New Zealnd the
authorities have moved ion the opposite direction of Part P and
de-regulated. Apparently, deaths and injuries fell.

If they've deregulated, it's from a position which was way, way
more more draconian than Part P.

I've just spent a fortnight in New Zealand, much of which was
doing small jobs for my mother-in-law -- one of these was to
install a PIR light in the garage.

I established early on that to do any work -- anything at all --
which breaks into the main circuit is prohibited unless done or
certified by a registered electrician. It was thus illegal for
me to wire the light into the lighting circuit via a junction box
(which is what I'd planned to do.)

The rules appear to have changed from 1/1/2003, but not in Oz
which has (SAIUI)mutually agreed standards with NZ. see
www.ess.govt.nz/rules/rules_codes.asp.

Thanks for the link; that sort of confirms what I was told -- the bit
that affected what I intended to do is explained at
http://www.ess.govt.nz/rules/pdf/ecp51v18.pdf.

That, though, seems to contradict itself, in that on page 1 it says (to
paraphrase) that you can run all the wiring and stuff you like, but
that it has to be checked, tested and connected to the electricity
supply by a licensed electrician; but on page 2 it says that in
your own home you can extend, install or alter any cables except those
between the street and the consumer unit.

It seems even more confusing to me than Part P.

--
Cheers,
Harvey