Dan White

Default Why plywood?

I know, a basic question. I'm not much of a woodworker, but was curious
about when plywood started to be accepted in high end furniture making
(assuming it is). Now I guess guys like Duncan Pfyfe and Lannuier used
veneers (I think) but I don't think they used plywood. Did they just select
the best boards they could find? As a layman I always thought plywood was
cheap crap made to look like the real thing, but now I see it appears that
plywood is preferred to solid board, or is that just due to cost and
stability of the wood?

If money and supply were no option, as it shouldn't be on high end stuff,
would you still prefer a plywood veneer?

thanks,
dwhite