David Starr

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:41:09 -0400, Frank H wrote:

Hi all & greetings from Toronto. My old wood-and-tin garage is the
eyesore of the neighbourhood, and I dream of rebuilding it, myself, in
concrete or brick. One wall at a time, slowly is fine, I'm in no big
hurry - would prefer to save money learning how to do it myself.

Silly? Too big a job? Need architects, engineers, teams of big strong
guys? Or can I find books or sites that teach you how to rebuild a
garage myself without having it fall down on top of me? I'm a handy guy
and have renovated most of my own house, but I'm new to structural work
(i.e., how to hold up a roof while I remove and replace the wall
underneath).

If you're going to replace the roof, build the new wall just outside
the old one. If the roof is ok, build the new walls just inside the
old then tear down the old. You won't lose much space, and you'll
gain a few inches of overhang.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography