Walt Cheever

Is this a teaching opportunity to bring some math into the class?

Basic math:
Figure degrees in included arc
Figure circumference of circle
Figure miter angle at end of boards
Figure 1/8 or 1/12 of circumference which would give you arc distance, or
rough length of the wood side.

I think you would need to use trig to figure the chord distance.

Don't know if you need more problems to deal with or not.

Walt C

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
m...
Folks -

*Somewhere* there was an online calc or website that was able to figure
out the length of the segments in creating a circle of "X" inches in
diameter. I am sure that many of you math types will guffaw, so I'll take
my lumps, but I'd like a better way than laying it out on paper and
measuring.

I was showing one of the students how to lay out an 8 and also a 12 sided
circle, 12" in diameter, with 3" wide stock. Our method worked okay and
all, I just know that there's an easier way to do it.

Any ideas??

John Moorhead