:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
ps.com...
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Do you drive (legally) ?.....

Nothing wrong with a license to drive, the annual slaughter

justifies
some basic checks on competence. Drivers license is not an ID card

that
must be carried to avoid prosecution.

However there is no comparable justification for a compulsory ID

card.

The point I'm making is that like it or not any of the present ID type
cards could and probably will be (if there is not a specific ID card)
made into a 'sudo ID card' [1] and it's carrying made compulsory, if
passports and drivers licenses are converted into 'sudo ID cards' that
alone will cover most of the adult population [2] - it's just a mater
of what information will be held on the card and why.

If HMG want us to have compulsory ID cards then we will have
compulsory ID cards, like it or not.

[1] talk has already started about converting passports into sudo ID
cards, whilst holding the same sort of info as the proposed ID card,
and if HMG wishes to go down this route they don't even need to place
the decision before Parliament AIUI - Passports being Crown and not
Parliament granted.

[2] yes it would be possible not to have any type of ID card but will
people really want to give up the 'right' to either go out of the
country or drive ?...