Harvey Van Sickle

On 23 Apr 2005, Rob Horton wrote

-snip-

As a foot note, I have heard a rumour that in New Zealnd the
authorities have moved ion the opposite direction of Part P and
de-regulated. Apparently, deaths and injuries fell.

If they've deregulated, it's from a position which was way, way more
more draconian than Part P.

I've just spent a fortnight in New Zealand, much of which was doing
small jobs for my mother-in-law -- one of these was to install a PIR
light in the garage.

I established early on that to do any work -- anything at all -- which
breaks into the main circuit is prohibited unless done or certified by
a registered electrician. It was thus illegal for me to wire the light
into the lighting circuit via a junction box (which is what I'd planned
to do.)

The retail industry there accommodates this by selling PIR units with a
plug -- one version plugs into a mains point, while another has a
bayonet plug to fit into a light socket. The mains or light socket,
though, must be an existing one: it would be illegal to install a new
point or a new light socket unless qualified/certified, as that job
would require breaking into the main circuit (which isn't allowed).

--
Cheers,
Harvey