Morris Dovey

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
m...

*Somewhere* there was an online calc or website that was able to figure

out
the length of the segments in creating a circle of "X" inches in diameter.
I am sure that many of you math types will guffaw, so I'll take my lumps,
but I'd like a better way than laying it out on paper and measuring.

I was showing one of the students how to lay out an 8 and also a 12 sided
circle, 12" in diameter, with 3" wide stock. Our method worked okay and
all, I just know that there's an easier way to do it.

Any ideas??

John...

The general formula is that arc length is equal to radius times included
angle (in radians). If you're after the chord length, just multiply the
diameter by the sine of half the included angle.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
www.iedu.com/DeSoto/