Richard J Kinch

Is there a problem with cutting metal on a radial arm saw normally
intended for woodworking?

I've sliced up 4 inch thick slabs of solid 6061 aluminum with a 10 inch 80-
tooth carbide woodworking blade on a 12-inch radial saw. It works, but my
advice is to absolutely clamp the work securely on each side. Don't try to
hand-hold the work, even something light.

I keep a small museum of "oops" souvenirs on the shop shelf. One of them
is a small end of 4x4x1/4 square aluminum tubing that I didn't clamp on the
radial saw. It caught on a tooth at the end of the cut, and flew several
hundred feet (the saw is on wheels and I cut outdoors). Don't wanna think
about getting hit with that kind of large sharp-edged shrapnel.

A Sears (Emerson) radial arm saw has a lot of wiggle and slop in the table,
carriage, bearings, etc. This, plus the high speed blade, makes for a
rather risky metal-cutting experience. But I do it.