dundonald

Default cut into joists

Dave Plowman thoughtfully wrote:

In article ,
dundonald wrote:
I forget how wide the joists are off the top of my head but a board runs
across two gaps, i.e. uses three joists. To thread the wire through the
joists with a drilled hole, which is what I should do, would take a
rewire and installing junction boxes. I may have to take the hit and do
so properly. I was wondering if there was a quicker alternative without
being detrimental to the structure.

I'd be inclined to fix strips of wood across the joists with gaps for the
cable, as suggested by Mark. Put steel straps across those gaps to prevent
nailing into the cable. Then lay the flooring on top. Something like
roofing battens should be ok and cheap.

So the flooring then goes in the same direction as the joists?

Most ceiling joists are distinctly undersized for any sort of load.