Phil Addison

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:56:59 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Roly"
wrote:

The drain hole of the refrigerator section of my Neff fridge/freezer is
freezing up and the defrost water is not draining away. The fridge goes
through the defrost cycle but the ice built up is so thick in just a day or
two that it doesn't melt before it starts to frost again. Consequently the
defrost water lies in the bottom of the fridge.

I've cleaned around the drain outlet so that's not the cause.

Is a faulty thermostat likely to be the cause?

This is a long-shot for a fridge, but you never know.

I had the same problem with my frost-free freezer. The reason turned out
to be that every time the door was opened some moist kitchen air was
drawn back UP the drain tube into the freezer compartment. Once there it
froze on the inside of the tube, and when the door was opened again a
little more froze until the tube was completely blocked.

The answer was given me by the makers (Ocean), which was to bend the
drain tube to form an S-trap near the bottom, and fill the trap with
water. That is sufficient to stop air being drawn back up the tube. To
my utter amazement it worked and I have had no further problems.

Ocean even sent me a free longer tube to accommodate the extra length
needed for the S-bend.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me