James Sweet

"Bill Jeffrey" wrote in message
news:1Uxae.64116$A31.36134@fed1read03...
I'm surprised that this hurt anything. If you plugged it into 110, but
set the switch to 220, then the power supply was seeing only half of the
primary (i.e., input) voltage it was expecting. Because of this, it was
probably unable to produce the proper secondary voltages (5VDC, 12 VDC,
etc) since the regulators ran out of headroom. But I wouldn't expect
this to damage anything in the power supply. And I can't think of
anything on the motherboard that would be hurt, either. I'm not as sure
about the display's deflection circuitry, assuming you have a CRT
monitor - but the display isn't powered through this switch.

With the switch correctly set, can you measure the power supply
secondary voltages?

Interesting question. Please let us know what you find.

Some power supplies will self destruct with too low an input voltage. The
duty cycle pegs and the transformer saturates.