F.H.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
"F.H." wrote in message
news:njmae.772$Nc.305@trnddc03...
.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment except I think 3" is a *big*
rock. If the blade is bent, the balance is gone.

Frank

Dohh!!!.........and.....(wink)......

Anymore the blades are so damned hard that the stress and deformation goes
directly to the crank output shaft....

To the point where nowadays you can generally straighten the shaft by
"dialing in" the blade and still get satisfactory results.

Been there and done it almost *too many times*...

( I dont mow grass anymore, but still I've got a wife that is *terribly
hard* on equipment )

LOL, I've never hit anything big enough to cause problems but I've had
the blade off plenty of times to sharpen it. I was told to buy a new
one because the blade needed to be balanced but an old machinist with a
pedestal grinder in his garage is a tough sell. g I just put a small
dowel pin in the grinder and place the blade on it. Once I get it sharp
I just grind a little here and there until it's stays motionless.

Saves time and money.

Frank