Doug Miller

In article Tsjae.1109690$8l.249104@pd7tw1no, "Noozer" wrote:
....now it's buggered up.

[snip]

At this point I'm hoping that all I've done is shear off the "key" and it
will be an easy fix... except I don't know where it's located and I don't
even know if that's the problem. To make matters worse, I don't know the
make of engine. ARGH!

Most likely that's what it is. The key attaches the flywheel to the
crankshaft, at the top of the engine. Remove the cover that contains the
pullcord, and you should see it. You'll want a steering wheel puller or
similar tool to remove the flywheel. If you just try to pry it off, you may
break it.

Once you get the flywheel off, collect all of the different pieces of the key
and take them to a mower repair shop. They'll need the make and model of your
mower, or of the engine, too. While you're there, get a few extra keys so
you'll have one on hand the next time this happens. The keys won't cost much
more than a dollar apiece, if that, so it makes sense to have spares.

--
Regards,