Bill Jeffrey

I'm surprised that this hurt anything. If you plugged it into 110, but
set the switch to 220, then the power supply was seeing only half of the
primary (i.e., input) voltage it was expecting. Because of this, it was
probably unable to produce the proper secondary voltages (5VDC, 12 VDC,
etc) since the regulators ran out of headroom. But I wouldn't expect
this to damage anything in the power supply. And I can't think of
anything on the motherboard that would be hurt, either. I'm not as sure
about the display's deflection circuitry, assuming you have a CRT
monitor - but the display isn't powered through this switch.

With the switch correctly set, can you measure the power supply
secondary voltages?

Interesting question. Please let us know what you find.

Bill
=======================

News wrote:

Hello,

I'm debating whether or not to try and fix a computer that was turned on and
run for some period of time with the incorrect voltage set on the power
supply (220V instead of 110V.) I'm guessing that incorrectly setting the
input power on the supply causes a more or less standard effect on the
computer, most likely mother board power regulation - anyone know what this
effect is? Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to go down this
path just to find out every part on the board is toast!

Thanks!