Prometheus

I cut templates with my plotter, lay them down on the wood, and just
don't do all that good of a job. I suspect it is because I have no
experience. I also suspect to a far lesser degree it is the tools.
I don't know if I can find anyone to cut letters for less than I'm
paying for them now. I'm not looking to rip someone off, but seriously,
an unfinished 12" MDO letter seems expensive at $18-23+ depending on font.
Any advice or offers is appreciated. Thanks.
send replies to (knock off the last m)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=5&c=y

Make one of these guys, or hire a local shop to make you one. Then
layout the letters you need on a piece of hardboard, and cut them
(slightly smaller than the finished template) out with a jigsaw. Use
a file and some sandpaper to get the templates into finished shape,
and viola, you've got yourself a letter making machine. If you need a
different font, print it out on your computer and make another set of
templates. You'll be good to go for any job you'll ever need to do,
and it shouldn't cost much overall. If you're doing a lot of letters,
you can also make aluminum templates for durability.

You could do the same thing with a the set of templates mentioned
above, and a router with a set of guide bushings (I'd recommend
Porter-Cable for this, simply because the bushings can be found so
easily) If you go the template and guide bushing route, understand
that the templates need to be larger than the letter you want (make
the templates the size you want plus twice the width of the bushing
you are using).

If you don't have a good dust collector or a powerful shop vac, get
one of those as well- you are going to kick up a hell of a lot of dust
routing that stuff.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam