Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:40:13 -0400, "Tony" wrote:

if my generator can output 30 amps 240, i can take the 240 and split it to
120 and output a total of 60 amps, 30 each leg, now how much current is
flowing on the neutral? i have a 10/3 stranded cable about 90 feet long, i
dont know if it will be 60 or 30. my service entrance cable all three look
the same size wire so i guessing it will be 30. thanks tony

If it's setup as a center-tapped neutral like normal, and you are
drawing an even 30 amps on each 120V leg at the end of the cable run,
the current on the neutral is zero. They balance each other out.
Worst case is 30 amps on the neutral if one hot leg is unloaded.

But you do not want that neutral to go open under any circumstances,
because very bad things happen when the loads get unbalanced - the
voltages start swinging.

Some old generators can be jumpered to provide true 60A 120V with
the windings in parallel. But then you can't use that 10/3 cable,
more like 4-3 - and voltage drop is a more serious problem...

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545