dundonald

Default cut into joists

"Michael Mcneil" thoughtfully wrote:

"dundonald" wrote in message
news
Is it good practice to cut a little nick out of
the joist, enough to lay the wiring for the flooring to flush with the joist
over the top? Is this detrimental to the structure?

I have no idea on the legal and such aspects raised by the other posters
here. If you are boarding out why not do a rewire? The nicks are not
likely to detract much. Especially so if you do the dirty over a wall.
Also you can add a strip to the side of the joist to increase the
strength.

Speaking of which, what are you doing to increase the load carrying
capacity of the timbers?

Nothing. It's only going to be used for storeage and as far as I understand
(I may be wrong) roof joists should be adequate for this.