Bob Shuman

Ken,

I took the unit apart and checked tape threading and alignment and
everything looked good to me. I also checked and everything seemed pretty
tight so I performed the thorough cleaning you recommended (I had cleaned it
previously, but could only get at it through the top cassette loader).
While I was in there I also degaussed the heads. When I was done I checked
it out and it seems to be much improved. Unfortunately, some of the
recently recorded stuff is still not 100%, but is at least watchable. I
will have to use it for some non-critical stuff over the next few weeks to
make sure it is working well again and trust it for an upcoming graduation
ceremony. Thanks for your assistance. I'd still appreciate getting a copy
of the service manual if anyone can point me to where one can be found.

Bob

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
Hi Bob...

I'd urge you to forget all about electronic adjustment and
instead focus on mechanical problems...

Start with a good thorough cleaning... the tracking head,
the pressure idler, the video heads, the capstan and idler,
and the audio head. A little isopropyl alcohol and a bunch
of q-tips. A little - moist q-tips, *not* wet.

Pay particular attention to the capstan idler. No flat spots,
indents from the idler? Does it line up perfectly with the
idler?

Look at the audio head - it's spring loaded for azimuth
adjustment. Still sitting normally?

Check the supply hub, clean it well.

Then, after completely absolutely dry, I'd watch it play
a tape. Supply side feeding tape smoothly, not jerking.
Nothing skewing the tape.

Ken