Bert Hyman

In oups.com
wrote:

Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out?

Maybe. I had a Schlage double-cylinder deadbolt (key needed on both inside
and outside) where the holes for the mounting screws on the inside surface
were plugged. I suppose there's a tool for removing the plugs, but since I
didn't care if I marred the finish of the old lock, I just used an awl to
pry them out of the holes. Once I did that, I needed an Allen wrench to
remove the long screws that held the inner and outer parts of the lock
together.

Since the mounting holes for any lock installed in the past 50 years
should be pretty standard, any similar lock you find at a hardware store
will fit right in.

I could call a locksmith but they are expensive. Thank you.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN