Greg O

"Julie P." wrote in message
news

" And I think that air compressor chart that Sears provides in its
Craftsman catalog is misleading then, since many grinders, drills, etc.,
take 13-15 SCFM, and the chart claims their 60 gal. compressor will run
those air tools continuously, even though the SCFM output is only around
9.6! That's why I was comparing the Sears 7.0 HP 60 gallon one above with
the IR 5 hp 60 gallon one, even though the output was really different!

Keep in mind that you will rarely run air tools constantly. I have a 10 CFM
compressor and it does all I need. I also use air drills, DA sanders and die
grinders. 10 CFM will run any of the tools I have as most people will not
run them 100%. Sears claim is probably accurate for the general population.
Unless you plan on using your air tools to the extreme, you will probably be
satisfied with a 10 CFM compressor.

That said Sear's compressors are junk. If you can afford a larger
compressor, go with it, it will live longer because it will not run as hard.
If you can afford the IR, buy it, you will never replace it!
Greg