BOB URZ

Default Bad pot

Well, not the kind you smoke anyway. (And that's Potentiometer to
LV to be politically grammatically correct). Just ran across a powered
sub woofer that was dead. Nothing seemed fried. Further tests showed no
continuity off the volume control. Pretty standard cheap dual gang 50K
control. Took it off expecting to see a cracked board. The board was not
cracked on either section. Thought this was quite strange. I fluked
across the carbon and it was OK. What seems to have happened in this
unit was where the carbon track gets riveted to the terminal developed a
open circuit condition. I have never seen one do that before. And it
happened on both sections. on more than one unit. Definitely a cheap pot
with a latent manufacturing defect. I have seen similar pots in pro
sound gear, so be on the look out. Its says "HV A50K" on this specimen.

Bob