Hax Planx

says...

I'm going to be making some things for my shop over the next few
weekends, and wanted advice on using MDF or Birch/Apple Ply. I know
MDF is cheaper, but I can afford the Ply if it makes sense. Also, I
want some nice surfaces for the drill table, and router table. For
that want to know should I use Hardboard or Laminate or Meliene (sp?)
The projects I have lined up a
Planner Stand
Drill Press Table
Crosscut Sled
Miter Saw Stand and Cabinets
Router Table

I used melamine for my router table because it is flat and already has a
slick finish. I used plywood for the crosscut sled because I was afraid
MDF would just break since it gets moved around so much. I think just
about anything would work for workshop table tops. It doesn't really
matter what the planer is sitting on does it? I have been using
canarywood in strategic places like the miter slot rails on my crosscut
sled because it is dense, stable and doesn't need a finish.