Doug Miller

In article , Sailing Fan wrote:
I'm a signmaker. I work mainly in vinyl decals applied to a varity of
substrates, but I need to make dimensional signage from time to time.
Problem is I can't afford a CNC router, and I'm a total newbie with
power tools.
Sometimes I get MDO Plywood (not MDF) letters from this company.
http://www.woodenletters.com/lettershop.htm They use a CNC router and
are very good. Problem is if I quote a customer for 12" letters for
example, my cost is over $18 for Arial and for Times we're looking at
$23+ per letter.

?? That site shows $12.80 per letter for Arial and $16.00 for Times, for MDO
in upper case. Lower case is somewhat cheaper.

That means before painting and mounting, Vetinary
Clinic is around $300 my cost.

Your client would, I'm sure, prefer the sign to read "Veterinary Clinic". :-)

Sixteen letters at $12.80 each is $204.80.

For the rest of the work and mounting I
quote $400-450 and I get nothing. I can get formed plastic letters for a
little less than wood.

Actually, at the site you gave, they cost *more* than wood.

They also save me a lot of work, as there's no
painting involved, so perhaps the quote is now $300... and my cost is
about $200, which still isn't low enough.

I agree with Bob's suggestion that you should look for a less expensive
supplier.

My guess is there's somebody in my market with a ShopBot. He's charging
the customer 1/3-1/2 less for MDO than I can buy wood for because he's
doing it in house.

Perhaps... but if *every* bid you make is accepted, that means you're not
charging enough.

--
Regards,