Dave Hinz

On 22 Apr 2005 07:06:08 -0700, wrote:
How do you drill with a lathe?

I do that by holding the drill bit in the tail piece, (either a chuck
with the right taper, or a drillbit with the right taper), and the piece
being drilled in the chuck (or held to a faceplate, I suppose). Works
very well for then tapping that hole, to make sure it's exactly aligned
with the hole you just drilled.

Look at it this way - lots of metalworking is done by rotating one thing
while another thing is held still. Either the tool rotates, or the work
rotates. It doesn't matter which is moving, it's just the relative
movement between the two that makes it work. Figure out how to hold the
tool, figure out how to hold the work, and make some chips.