Rich Grise

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:08:42 -0700, Landon top-posted:

I let the battery charge all last night and all day until just a few
minutes ago, it was charging at 13.8 volts. With a 25watt soldering
iron plugged into it the lowest I could get the battery to drop was 12.2
volts. I plugged my 100/140watt soldering gun into it and put it on
100watts, within about a second the voltage plummeted at 10.something
volts and then the unit shut itself down.

That's it, then. It's the battery. You need a new one.

Sorry.
Rich

loedown wrote:
Measure the battery's voltage when the unit is on load, not when it is out
of circuit, not when it is charging or at any other time, this is the only
way you will see if it is truly the battery. Even if this isn't possible,
get a 12V filament lamp and connect that to the battery out of circuit and
monitor the voltage. Without doing these things, you are just compounding
the issue and not determining whether the battery is at fault, or the unit
itself.

SLA charging voltage should be around 13.8 V

Paul