Peter Parry

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:21:05 +0100, "Fred" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:38:23 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

If I measure the voltage, it is about 120v

Which is exactly as you would expect from a noise filtered device.

2.9A reactive current sounds far too much.

It is, I'm not altogether sure what is being measured here but a
current reading from chassis earth to mains earth is what is needed.
I'd expect it to be a few mA.

In reality the earth will be
close to neutral potential so the measurement is a fair one in this case.

He is measuring voltage from the floating hob chassis with the earth
disconnected. The noise filter capacitors will put the chassis at
half mains voltage in this situation.

You wouldn't allow the earth to run at 120V would you?

That's why you treat mains circuits with high protective circuit
currents carefully and take particular care with earth integrity.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/