Fred

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:38:23 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

If I measure the current between its earth wire and Neutral, I am getting
about 2.9A

The current reading is irrelevant as has been pointed out.

If I measure the voltage, it is about 120v

Which is exactly as you would expect from a noise filtered device.

Do I send it back, or connect it to the non RCD CU!
(I personally would think 120v @ 2.9A leakage to earth is not too clever,

It isn't there. Your measurement ignored the neutral/earth voltage
difference. You would get similar results from any device in the
house.

would think it is faulty, but would just like to see what others think)

Connecting lots of things to a single 30mA RCD is a recipe for
nuisance tripping. You seem to have somewhat of an attachment to
RCD's so if you really want one connect the hob to a non-RCD circuit
and put a dedicated RCD on the hob alone.

2.9A reactive current sounds far too much. In reality the earth will be
close to neutral potential so the measurement is a fair one in this case.
You wouldn't allow the earth to run at 120V would you? BTW I hope these are
AC measurements and not a DC ones!

I am certain that new standards would forbid such a poor power-factor or
such a reactive current to flow even from live to neutral.

I would ask the technical department at the manufacturer to reflect on the
measurements before doing anything further.