RonKZ650

If you get one, get a good one. Most IR guns with 12/1 ratio will not
work. It depends on the focal point size. Generally 12/1 guns have a
focal point of about 3" meaning you are measuring the average
temperature over a 3" area, plus many the laser beam is offset somewhat
from the actual point you are measuring. Raytek makes some nice guns.
Two that work real nice are the ST80 with 50/1, and the ST25 Autopro. I
use the ST80 sometimes when I suspect something heating on a board but
can't quite pinpoint it. Works nice and easy.
Russ wrote:
A few times the finger thing worked real well for me. One was a

pinball
transistor It was so hot it burned my finger. I guess I was

wondering if
something more sensitive would be helpfull.
Thanks for input
Russ
"Seafarer" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:14:57 GMT, "Russ"
wrote:

I read somewhere that when a IC develops a short it will start to

heat up.
So I was thinking that maybe one of the new laser type of Temp

probes
might
help in troubleshooting. Are they sensitive enough? Can they

isolate a
small 1 inch square area without picking up things close by? I

talked to
one company and they said a large 12:1 or higher ration between the

distance
and spot being measured is what to look for. Any particular model

or
ideas
a long this line?

Thanks

I use the finger test and have for thirty years,if you want to be

more
precise you can buy small square temp strips that you stick on top

of
the IC.Readout is the same as a medical digi.thermometer.Got some

five
years ago as they are cheap,but never used them.Use your finger tip
away from the hot chassis.To hot to touch,it's bad!