Well we discovered the problem. Actually I'm a bit embarrassed to
relate this but I will. My son triple checked his breadboard and
assured me that everything was ok. So I took him at his word. He is
good but after almost 45 years in this business (is the power off?, ...
SURE it is....) I should have looked myself.
The schematic showed one of the inputs going through a 1K resistor to
5.0V. The junction of the gate and resistor went through a switch to
ground so that input could be pulled low when needed. The other input
of the gate has a symbol for a pulse generator to ground. He mistook
that as a direct connection to ground, effectivly grounding any signal
applied to that input. The circuit now works fine and my 15.00
Datapulse generator which I picked up at the surplus store the other
day is a keeper. I sure would like to have a manual for it though.
Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice. Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics.