Patriarch

Tom Banes wrote in
:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 03:36:09 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I have the same set up and can get the saw to within an inch or two of
a wall. I would not advise using swivel casters on the saw end as
this will make the saw unstable when cutting. There is a reason for
those 2 wheels being set up the way that they are.

Thanks Leon. Sounds like you've learned to park that 18 wheeler!

I was planning on using swiveling casters that can be locked or
rigging a kick-up to raise the casters completely off the floor before
sawing. Adding a similar kick-up at the "front" (extension table end)
would keep the whole thing relatively level.

It may be that with daily practice I'll get the parking drill down and
not need swivels at all - we'll see.

Delta's mobile base, at least for the Aircraft Carrier version I own, uses
one lever-lift wheel, and two of the non-swivel type. It's easier to park
than an extended cab pickup at Safeway. With the lever up, I can't slide
that saw on a slick driveway floor. Which is the way it should be. Random
or unplanned movement in a saw is a bad thing.

Check out that design for inspiration. It's simple, and has been widely
used.

Patriarch