Martin Rost

Default horse power, rpm, and torque

At a recent club meeting the following statements were made, and I'm
interested in comments/corrections.

It is torque, not horsepower that cuts the wood.
I can accept that as torque is a measure of rotational force.

With a Reeves drive at low rpm you gain torque over high rpm.
This is what I learned riding 10 speed bikes and driving a standard
transmission.

With electronic variable speed you lose torque at low speeds, this is why
the bigger lathes have 3 hp motors, to make up for the lost torque.
This one I don't buy, but I don't know if it is right, wrong or
partially correct. From posts in rcw, I though with DC motors you lost
torque at low speeds, but AC (3 phase) motors maintained torque at low
speeds.

Any corrections or clarifications to these three statements would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Martin
Long Island, New York