Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus16317 wrote:

Some things you can do with lathes are, making various conical shapes,
making threads, drilling holes along the axis of rotation, etc.

IIRC I've heard more than once that, "The lathe is the only (common)
machine tool which can reproduce itself." - With a little help from a
human.....

Given that you can turn, drill and mill with a lathe and some proper
attachments, I suppose that's true for the machining steps.

Though I wonder if say a 36" lathe would have enough capacity to handle
the parts needed to make another 36" lathe or whether you could only
make a smaller size lathe on it. Sort of like most living things, except
that baby lathes don't get larger as they grow older, huh? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)