Coherers

Default cut into joists

"dundonald" wrote in message
news
I'm laying flooring [1] in my loft. The wiring is simply thrown over the
joists rather than a hole drilled centrally through the joist and the

wiring
passed through the hole. Is it good practice to cut a little nick out of
the joist, enough to lay the wiring for the flooring to flush with the

joist
over the top? Is this detrimental to the structure?

I tried searching the archive of this group for the answer, but after a
couple attempts trying to guess what others might call what I call a

'nick'
[2] I gave up.

[1] chipboard variant
[2] crescent type cut out

--

IEE Wiring Regs 16th Edn:

"Where cables are installed through timber joists in the ceiling or floor,
they shall not be less than 50mm from the top or bottom of the joist, unless
mechanical protection that will stop the cable being penetrated by nails or
screws etc. is provided. "

Sometime, I have to get around to drilling the joists and re-running all the
lighting cables above a flat of mine for similar reasons. You only need
diddly holes if they are lighting cables.......