Doug Miller

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Moved into a 30 yr old house that has, apparently, one circuit going to an
outside outlet
having a GFCI circuit breaker in the main service panel.

Being so old, I have doubts about how good the GFCI circuit breaker may be,
but really don't want to play with the panel and replace the breaker.

What leads you to believe that the GFCI breaker is 30 years old? What leads
you to believe that there is anything wrong with it?

Any reason not to just add an additional individual GFCI outlet in place of
the outside
outlet there now (leaving the circuit breaker in the service panel alone) ?

Waste of time and money. If you're concerned about the condition of the GFCI
breaker, it's simple enough to test it to see if it works. Does it trip when
you press the TEST button on the breaker? Does it trip when you press the
button on a plug-in tester? If yes to both, leave it alone.

Guess I'm asking if there is any harm, or potential problems, in having two,
possibly both being functional, GFCI devices on a single branch line ?

Obviously the potential for nuisance trips is at least doubled. And it will be
more of a headache to reset two devices than one, if a fault trips both of
them.

--
Regards,