Andy Wade

Sparks wrote:

Just checking it's not just me, but I think my new induction hob is faulty!!
[...]
If I measure the current between its earth wire and Neutral, I am getting
about 2.9A

That's a bit ambiguous - do you mean the current that flows through your
meter with the meter leads connected between the neutral and earth
terminals, with the earth connected? (Or if not, then what exactly?) A
neutral-earth s/c current measurement like that isn't very helpful -
what you need to do is to measure the current in the earth wire of the
appliance. IOW connect the earth wire from the hob to the earth
terminal of the cooker connection unit via your meter. Make sure the
appliance metalwork is floating, i.e. isn't connected to earth through
any other path. Now what earth leakage reading do you get? Anything
more than a couple of milliamps is a cause for concern.

If I measure the voltage, it is about 120v

Strongly suggestive of a mains filter (RFI filter) and perfectly normal.

****

What (if anything) do the instructions for the hob say about earth
leakage current and compatibility with RCDs? There is certainly no need
for an appliance like this to be RCD protected, and there's no advantage
in it being so (TT-earthed installations excepted). But that said, the
leakage from a single healthy domestic appliance should not be anywhere
near high enough to trip a 30 mA RCD.

Sparks (who wants to RCD everything possible, now more than ever!)

Why?

--
Andy