Sparks

Default Induction hob tripping RCD

Just checking it's not just me, but I think my new induction hob is faulty!!

It is connected to the RCD consumer unit (Because the cable that feeds it
was feeding the oven, and was already connected there before you ask!)

When turning on the local isolator near the hob, the RCD trips.
If I reset the RCD it will trip either immediately or after a few seconds
If I isolate the hob (Via the double pole isolator, OR by the single pole
MCB in the CU) the tripping stops.

I tried disconnecting it's earth (and keeping away from it!), and the
tripping stopped
If I measure the current from it's earth wire to earth, the RCD trips (no
surprise there then!)

If I measure the current between its earth wire and Neutral, I am getting
about 2.9A
If I measure the voltage, it is about 120v

Now when it was first turned on (this afternoon), it tripped the RCD
immediately, then after a few resets, it seemed to settle down - I even
boiled some water on it to test it.
I thought it must have been a bit damp or something (Although it has been
sitting in a warm house for about two weeks!)

We went out and set the alarm as we would usually do, only to be called by
the alarm about 10 minutes after leaving the house telling me my power had
gone off (The hob had been powered up, but "off" for a good hour)
Now the RCD refuses to stay on with the hob powered up - This is when I
tested it.

Do I send it back, or connect it to the non RCD CU!
(I personally would think 120v @ 2.9A leakage to earth is not too clever, so
would think it is faulty, but would just like to see what others think)

....If I hadn't have connected it to an RCD, then this fault (assuming it is)
would never have been noticed (Unless it got worse, and tried to pull more
than 32A, tripping the MCB!)
If the earth had then become disconnected somewhere between it and the CU,
then someone touching it may have got a packet from it.

Is not RCD protecting things like this really as wise as people make out?
(The same goes for an old dishwasher we used to own, the RCD kept tripping
with this when the door was opened - turned out to be a neutral wire worn
through, touching the chassis - again this would not have been highlighted
without having an RCD...

Sparks (who wants to RCD everything possible, now more than ever!)