DIYDan

Wow. Six great answers to my original post. This is great. Thank you
everybody! I've decided to use 6x6 pressure treated posts, and then
box them in with a more paint-able wood. I may use construction
adhesive and a brad nailer for this. I'm trying not to end up with any
space between the structural post and the box around it which may trap
moisture as carpenter ants are a problem on my side porch with hollow
support posts. Then again, the side porch is untreated wood that sits
in puddles after it rains, whereas here I plan to use those metal post
bases that hold the post a half inch above the porch surface. I'll try
to post a link to a picture once I get started. Thanks again. I
really appreciate the replies.