Nigel Eaton

In article , Rex B
writes
This one raised the hair on the back of my neck!

Pah! Youth of today...

Last time I did this[1], we used a jack in a shed doorway to compress
the spring, tying rope around it to keep it compressed. Several stages
were involved, with paving slabs being used as "shims" to get the
bomb^H^H^H^H spring to where we wanted it.

Then we installed it, and sent an idiot^H^H^H^H^H volunteer in with a
hacksaw to cut the rope.

It made quite an impressive bang when the last strand let go.

And the front end of the car did "fly" a bit. But only a bit.

The volunteer's laundry bill was the most costly bit of the whole
exercise.

(Nobody died, by the way).

[1] Long, long ago; in a Universe far, far away.

--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
and assorted other stuff, every problem looks like a steam engine.