Leo Lichtman

"T.C. Mann" wrote: (clip) I purchased a pair of external "hook type"
compressors which are designed to be used on each side of the spring but now
I am having second thoughts about using them. (clip)
Chances are they will not break, but I can understand your well founded
concerns. How about using those hooks, along with some additional support
to prevent disaster? You could make a third hookset, or a drawbar for the
center of the spring like what you are describing. If you use the drawbar
along with the two sets of hooks, the load on the castings will be reduced,
and if worst came to worst, and a hook broke, the spring would still be
controlled.