patrick

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
patrick wrote:
So my advice would be the best surfaces are either laminate (but avoid
the high gloss types as these scratch easily) or if your budget
stretches that far, granite.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

I've got mosaic tiles with epoxy grout - and inset but removable chopping
blocks at suitable intervals. Hardwood surround easily removed for
re-varnishing when needed.

Cleaning is easy - simply run the hose from the vacuum cleaner over it to
remove crumbs etc then wash down. It's survived well, and to me looks fine.
Any uninterrupted surface like granite, etc, probably needs a higher
standard of cleaning not to look tatty.

I agree that you have to keep granite very clean to avoid it looking
smeared and this is a slight disadvantage, but I still think its the
best worksurface avaliable. I'm interested in the idea of using tiles
on the worksurface. I'd alwas thought tht the grout would become dirty
and discolour over time. Is this a problem?