Jon Elson

Ignoramus14555 wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:27:37 -0500, Wayne Cook wrote:

On 20 Apr 2005 16:36:56 GMT, Ignoramus14555
wrote:

The person who correctly identifies this head will get 50 feet of 14
gauge 3 wire ST M/E cable. Great for wiring various tools. Has thick,
black, protective plastic armor. Very flexible. Shippping is also
free.

All you have to do is correctly answer, what is this head for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/unknown-head/

Well it's one of several heads off some big industrial engine. I
don't recognize it though so I'm not sure of the make. It might be
Caterpillar but I doubt it.

Notice that the bolt holes for holding the head down are shared by
the head next to it. On big engines the heads often come in more than
one piece.

It's definitely not a air compressor head. The hole in the middle is
for the injector so it's a diesel engine head.

Thank you. I am wondering, though, how come the four valves are so
close. I cannot imagine cylinder placement that would fit these
valves. For a diesel, we need 2 valves per cylinder, intake and
exhaust. If so, how could the cylinders be placed?

Also, I will check tonight, but I think that all valves vent to the
same air path.

No, I can pretty much see the two ports, on opposite sides of the head.
4 valves/cyl might be a clue this is a Roots-blower Diesel, two-stroke,
of the Detroit Diesel design. Possibly from a 16V154 size engine, used
in locomotives and power generators.

Jon