No

Back in the days didn't we need to worry about something called the 'REN'
Ringer Equivalency Number IIRC. Each device has a REN and there is a maximum
REN total per line in the house IIRC. I have no idea what the maximum REN is
but it would be interesting to see if the REN# on the new modem is higher
than the old modem.

What happens if you leave the modem and unplug all phones, answering
machines, etc but one. Is the volume normal on the one phone?

Just a thought.

-B

"David Hitchin" wrote in message
If you unplug the modem, does the volume uncrease on the
phone? If so, it has to be a bad modem.

Yes, unplugging the modem brings the volume back. Seems I need to complain
to the modem supplier - which I suspected. Thanks for confirming this.