"I've seen sites that will list houses in the MLS for a flat rate, and
have looked at MLS listings on realtor.com. So the 'only they have
access to' seems slightly off. What is it that they *really* have
access to that the average person can't access -- exclusive listings on

the MLS you have to be a real estate agent to see? "

The advantage is that only realtors can list a home in the MLS and
being in the MLS gives your property broad exposure. There are some
realtors that will list a property for less than the std 6% commission,
but I haven't seen any that do it for a flat fee, at least here in NJ.
If you have more info on that, I'd be interested in seeing it