as;ldfkj

And I am sure that looking at e-bay will give you a price under the 15
USD.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sound%20recorder%20chip gives:

http://www.scary-terry.com/dsr/dsr.htm
http://www.mnsi.net/~boucher/Soundplayer.html
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/fwinkler/work03/isd.html

The scary-terry link above is more what I am looking for.
With one possible advancement ....multiple sounds on 1 chip that will
play at random or in sequence with multiple button pushes.

I don't want it to be re-programmable. One time setup and that is all.
I have a few projects I want to put into my gameroom and have certain
sounds play if a lever is pushed or a button is pressed.

Is something like this possible in the price range I mention?

I am afraid that making yourself such a device will get you less quality
for more or same amount of money.

Your probably right but I would still like to try and make it myself.
I don't need cd quality sound for what I am doing.

Anyway, I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the help.